Though possessing a certain amount of recreational marijuana is now legal in the state of New Jersey, there are still laws surrounding the possession and sale of marijuana, and if you are caught violating those laws, you need an experienced Mercery County marijuana defense lawyer who can fight for you. Contact the Law Office of Douglas Herring today.
Do I Need a Mercer County Marijuana Defense Lawyer?
Were you arrested on marijuana charges? You need an attorney who is experienced with marijuana defense. Attorney Douglas Herring is a skilled Mercer County criminal defense lawyer. He can help you get your life back.
Marijuana Crime Penalties in New Jersey
If you were arrested on marijuana charges, you are probably wondering about the possible punishments. You need an experienced Mercer County marijuana defense lawyer on your side. The potential penalties you may face for a wide array of marijuana-related crimes in New Jersey are as follows:
- 6 ounces or less: No criminal or civil penalties
- More than 6 ounces: Up to 1 ½ years in jail and a potential $25,000 fine
- Within 1,000 feet of a school: Extra fines and 100 community service hours
- Less than 1 oz. (first offense): No criminal or civil penalties
- Up to 18 months of incarceration and a $25,000 fine
- 1 oz. – <5 lbs.: At least 3 years of incarceration, with a maximum 5-year jail sentence and a potential $25,000 fine
- 5 lbs. – <25 lbs.: At least 5 years of incarceration, with a maximum 10-year jail sentence and a potential $150,000 fine
- 25 lbs. or more: Between 10-20 years of incarceration and a potential $300,000 fine.
- Within 1,000 feet of a school: At least 3 years of incarceration, with a maximum 5-year jail sentence, as well as a potential $150,000 fine
- To minors or pregnant women: Double the jail time and fines
- Less than 10 plants: At least 3 years of incarceration, maximum 5-year jail sentence, $25,000 in fines
- 10 – <50 plants: At least 5 years in prison, maximum 10-year jail sentence, $150,000 in fines
- 50 or more plants: At least 10 years in prison, maximum 20-year jail sentence, $300,000 in fines
Aggressive Marijuana Defense
As you can see, a marijuana charge can have life-changing consequences. You don’t want to spend years in prison or pay high fines. You need an aggressive marijuana defense attorney. Here are some commonly effective defenses against marijuana-related charges:
- Illegal Stop
- Illegal Search
- Invalid Warrant
- Illegal Handling of Evidence
- Invalid Lab Report
Denying Ownership of the Marijuana
Attorney Douglas Herring will carefully examine every detail of your case. If the police made any mistakes, he will find them. The evidence (marijuana) is the prosecution’s best weapon. If the evidence was found to be obtained or handled illegally, it can’t be used against you. You need a Mercer County marijuana defense lawyer who has experience formulating a marijuana defense. Our office knows what to look for.
Contact a Mercer County Marijuana Defense Lawyer
For a free consultation, call Douglas at 609-256-4098 or contact our firm online. The sooner you reach out, the sooner he can begin working on your marijuana defense. Marijuana charges are not a game. You don’t want to lose your freedom. Contact the Law Office of Douglas Herring to schedule your free consultation.