If you’re accused of committing a crime, please read on, then contact an experienced Mercer County criminal defense lawyer to learn what you should do if you are accused of a crime in New Jersey.
You have been accused of a crime in New Jersey – now what?
If you have been accused of committing a crime in the Garden State, you should take the following steps to protect yourself:
- Take the accusations seriously. Any charge can impact your life.
- Consider hiring a lawyer. An attorney is your best line of defense when facing any charges of any kind.
- If you haven’t yet faced charges, you or your attorney may intervene and stop future charges.
- Remain silent–it is your right. Don’t speak unless spoken to, and don’t speak without an attorney present.
- Have a good alibi. There may be some people who can verify where you were at a certain time.
- Have your attorney conduct an investigation. There may be evidence that can prove your innocence.
- Consider taking a plea bargain. Of course, you don’t want to admit guilt if you’re simply not guilty, however, taking a plea bargain may be the best option at protecting your future.
- Never destroy evidence. Simply inform your attorney of any evidence there may be against you and your attorney can advise you on the best next step.
If you have any other questions or have been charged with a crime, contact us today so we can get working on your case.
CONTACT A MERCER COUNTY CRIMINAL DEFENSE LAWYER
Here at the Law Office of Douglas Herring, we believe that everyone accused of a crime is entitled to due process. No one facing a criminal matter should proceed without a competent attorney on their side. We are here to listen to your case, determine the best strategy going forward, and fight for your rights. Contact us today so we can get started.